Friday, June 24, 2005

Cycling - Diamond route!

Last year september, we went for cycling in a small town called Turnhout (images). It was a very nice trip. The route was around 21 kms long. It lead us along a nice canal, then into the woods followed by a hi-fi village & finally back to the starting position.

Since, it was fun, I convinced my new set of friends for cycling. This time we chose Diamond route in a town called Lier. This route is very famous in Belgium.

My campaign for cycling was running in full-swing till morning of the planned date & finally I succeeded in getting the majority. Because of that we started very late. By the time we reached the place, it was already evening. When we hired cycles, we were informed that only 3hrs remaining. The route goes for 30 kms. 10 kms/hr, hmmm... quite challenging. Still we all decided to give it a shot. (Bad project planning!)

The route was gorgious! Going through woods, fields and villages. Really amazing!

After covering around 10 kms, we realized we've eaten up half the time. Since it was very obvious that covering the route was next to impossible, we decided to turn back. Traversing the same route again? No way. Brave men don't step back! But they take some other route back!! So, we decided to take another shorter cycling route back. After 30 mins of useless search to find that route, finally we gave up & took a very dry freeway back.

I was the only one having a little energy left by that time. Since, the odds of getting late for returning the cycles were high, I thought I'd go first & inform the in-charge that others may get delayed a bit. I started pedaling fast. Competition brings best out of everyone, right? So, I was searching for someone whom I can race with, so that I can reach the destination faster. Right at that time one cycle also joined that path. But, bad luck. It was a very old lady at her late 60s. Racing with a old lady??? I must be crazy.

Anyhow, just for the fun of it, I tried to beat her. My goodness, she was damn fast. The drama of I beating her in downhills & she comfortably overtaking me in uphills continued for quite some time. Finally with my tongue out, I had to accept my defeat after covering around 6 kms. Damn... Even european oldies are strong. MORAL: Never ever challenge an european on physical contests (a lesson I already learnt in my squash sessions :( ).

Anyhow, finally we all reached the destination on-time. (Agile methodology works!)

No comments: